Pickup Truck – The state of Florida has different laws with regard to riding of pickup trucks. The laws have been created to ensure and promote safe driving in the state.
The driving laws in Florida with regard to driving in the back of a pickup truck is covered by “RIDING IN THE BED OF A TRUCK (F.S. 316.2015)” which states the following:
- No minor (anyone under the age of 18) is allowed to ride without restraint on the back of the pickup truck. There must be an installed and approved safety belt.
- Any individual who is above 18 years of age is allowed to ride on the back of a pickup truck without any restrain.
- In case of medical emergencies alone, a child may be allowed to sit on the back of a pickup truck with an adult.
- The state law states that each county in Florida reserves the right to decide allowing minors to ride on the back of pickup trucks. With a public hearing and a majority vote, there may be exceptions created to this rule. It is recommended that residents refer to the laws of their county to confirm. If not such hearing has been held, then the state law will apply to all members of the county.
- There are different opinions on the laws with regard to riding on the back of pickup trucks. While few members of the state feel like the law restraining and limiting people to drive on truck beds is unnecessary, others are asking for a ban on allowing anyone to ride on the truck beds. Even adults (majors). Instances of passengers getting thrown out of, falling from and jumping from the back of pickup trucks is very common.
Therefore, even if the law allows adults to ride on the back of pickup trucks in Florida, it is a much safer choice to avoid this. And although, there are many who still ride with people on the back of the pickup truck when there are too many of them, caution is key. Check the speed and try not to drive above 25 miles/hour when there is someone sitting behind on the truck. Riding inside the passenger compartment will especially protect everyone in the truck in case of crashes and accidents. It is important to make the right choice that protects us.
Drive smart. Drive secure. Make the safer choice.